30 years later, Liverpool again became the champion of England. Then, in the late eighties-early nineties of the last century, “the Reds” were still the main force of English football. But then almost three long decades this status was lost. During this time flowed a lot of water collapsed the entire state, formed a new, the world was consumed by war, pestilence and disaster. The only unchanged thing: loyal fans, Liverpool continued to wait when their favorite team will be the champion again.
Sport.ua offers to remember what the world was like thirty years ago – in 1990, when Liverpool won the 18th title of champion of England.
– Liverpool was the best team in England. At the end of the season the “Reds” under the leadership of player-coach Kenny Dalglish ahead of nine, finished the second “Aston Villa”.
– The Soviet Union still exists, but is moribund. In January at a demonstration for the Independence of Lithuania has published more than 300 thousand people. In the same month the Armenian SSR declared war on the Azerbaijan SSR. And as a symbol of the new time – in Moscow, the first Soviet McDonald’s opened, and later was elected first and last President of the Soviet Union – Mikhail Gorbachev, who in the same year was awarded the Nobel peace prize.
First went to Romania, which is still part of the socialist countries, banned the Communist party. The first independent presidential elections were won by ion Iliescu.
– South Africa’s President de Klerk is making the first steps towards the abolition of apartheid. The country has allowed the activities hitherto banned party the African national Congress, and in February released from prison the leader of the party of Nelson Mandela.
– Wow: the invincible super champion on Boxing in heavy weight Mike Tyson lost the championship match of the hitherto little-known fighter James Douglas.
– Britain and Argentina finally restored diplomatic relations. Countries were at war with in 1982 over the Falkland Islands.
– Beginning of the collapse of Yugoslavia. Slovenia declared the law on the sovereignty of Croatia adopts the first Constitution of the country, the elected President of Serbia Slobodan Milosevic.
– In Italy hosted the world Cup. In the final of the world Cup, the German team defeated Argentina with Maradona in the team – 1:0.
– July 16, the Ukrainian Soviet socialist Republic declared sovereignty. The USSR de jure become of the deceased.
– The Iraq-Kuwait war in early August, troops of the Iraqi dictator Saddam Hussein crossed the border of Kuwait. In response to this aggression the UN Security Council announced an economic boycott of Iraq. A little later, the UN security Council adopted a resolution giving the right of foreign States to invade Iraq if Hussein does not withdraw its troops from Kuwait.
– August 15, died in a car accident cult Soviet rock singer, leader of group “Cinema” Victor Tsoy.
The third of October was a historic day for the two Germanys – the Federal and Democratic, Western and Eastern. They merged into a single state of the Federal Republic of Germany. Chancellor of the unified Germany is Helmut Kohl.
– It seemed that the “Iron lady” will rule forever. But time still won the race with the Prime Minister of great Britain Margaret Thatcher. After 11 years of leadership of Britain, Thatcher resigned. The new Prime Minister was elected, John major.
– The collapse of communism in Polish: the independent election of the President won with a huge margin, opposition candidate, the leader of the movement “Solidarity” Lech Walesa.
– In a duel for the chess crown of the two Soviet grandmasters, Garry Kasparov defeated Anatoly Karpov.
– This year were born the following players: Mario Balotelli, who Liverpool in the years 2014-2016, as well as Toni Kroos, Grzegorz Krychowiak, Ciro Immobile, Wojciech szczesny, Kyle Walker, Andre Schurrle, Aaron Ramsey, Danny Welbeck and other masters of leather ball.
– One of the last works of the famous Dutch painter van Gogh’s “Portrait of Dr. Gachet” sold at auction for a record eighty-two and a half million dollars.
From mid-may 1990, homosexuality was officially no longer considered a disease. Since may 17 is celebrated as international day against homophobia.
– Jürgen Klopp, then a little-known German footballer, took a momentous decision: moved to the “Mainz 05”, the only one in his career of the player in the club. Before Klopp will become a great coach, but Liverpool will once again be the champion of England, remained some thirty years.
And what you were when “Liverpool” in the last time won the championship of England?