Today, April 21, representatives of all 55 member countries of UEFA held a meeting through video conferencing. The heads of the national federations discussed the possible solutions for European football during a crisis resulting from a pandemic coronavirus.
Key outcomes of the meeting:
- Priority is given to national Championships finish in late July
- The remaining European Cup play-off plan to finish in August
- The teams can still go in the autumn and the planned date
- UEFA will propose recommendations on how to proceed in legal matters
- All the questions on contracts are prerogatives clubs and players
- Another video conference member countries of UEFA will take place in may
Recall that the main priority for UEFA believe the completion of the national League and Cup competitions, which will determine the country representatives for the upcoming Eurocup season. They can be resumed in may or June and be completed by July 31.
The competition of the Champions League and Europa League this year will play after the conclusion of the national Championships, probably in August. According to reports, the quarterfinal matches will be held 10-15 August, semi – finals from 17 to 22 August, and the finals are scheduled on 26 (or 27) and 29 August respectively.
UEFA have not finally decided the question of the new calendar of competitions, but I think that next season 2020/21 you can start in September, and the group rounds of the Champions League and LES offered to play with Oct.
Two days later, on 23 April, the UEFA Executive Committee will take the next decision about the possibility of holding international and national competitions until the end of this season, which is interrupted because of a pandemic that affected all sports and especially football.