The Board of FIBA Europe met in the videoconference, which discussed and adopted the decision on upcoming basketball events.
Considering the critical and unusual situation in Europe resulting from the pandemic coronavirus, and also to protect the health and safety of players, coaches, officials and fans, the Board of FIBA Europe has decided:
- Canceled all 16 year old youth Championships FIBA in all age categories.
- All the organizers of 2020 will be given priority to conduct the same tournament in 2021.
- The team at the world Cup U-21, is planned in 2021, will be selected according to the current rating.
- The European championship for small countries in 2020 for men and women, planned for the summer, is also cancelled.
As for club competitions FIBA Europe 2019/20, which had been suspended, then the best option available is to conduct a final mini-tournaments in September and October 2020 in the same city in the following formats:
- the final tournament of 8 teams in the Champions League FIBA,
- final tournament 4 teams in the Cup of Europe FIBA,
- the final tournament of 8 teams in the women’s Euroleague
- the final tournament of 8 teams in the ladies Competition.
FIBA Europe will consult with all clubs, national federations and ULEB to try to reach consensus among all interested parties before the Board makes a final decision in may.