In Florida in Hillsborough County, one person was infected with a dangerous amoeba that can cause infection of the brain. On 4 July according to the Department of health of Florida on Twitter.
“One person was infected with Naegleria Fowler in the County of Hillsborough. Naegleria Fowler is a microscopic single-celled living amoeba. The amoeba can cause a rare brain infection called primary amebic meningoencephalitis, which destroys brain tissue and is usually fatal,” – said in the message.
The Department noted that the infected amoeba can occur when contaminated water enters the human body through the nose. Once in the body the amoeba moves to the brain, causing meningoencephalitis.
Infection occurs in ponds during the hottest season – July, August and September when temperature rises and water is simultaneously reduced its level. Naegleria Fowler noodle many lakes and rivers in the United States, but most often in young States.
One person contracted Naegleria fowleri in Hillsborough County. Naegleria fowleri is a microscopic single-celled living amoeba. The amoeba can cause a rare infection of the brain called primary amebic meningoencephalitis (PAM) that destroys brain tissue and is usually fatal. pic.twitter.com/icT66tqlkU
— DOH – Hillsborough (@DOHHillsborough) July 3, 2020